Called to Serve - Osorno, Chile

Elder Keenan Robertson is serving in the Osorno Chile Mission as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Elder Robertson left on July 16, 2013 and will return sometime around July of 2015. Missionaries have a limited time to respond to all the E-mails and letters they receive so we will include here some of his letters home so that friends and family can keep up to date on how things are going for him and his ministry among the wonderful people of Chile.

Monday, November 11, 2013

November 11, 2013

This week has been good.  We taught a lot.  Saturday we had a family night set up with _______ and _______ (the young couple with 3 kids).  They are really cool.  The family night fell through and we weren´t able to teach them.  We just thought they had not really wanted to share with us anymore.  But we went over yesterday and found out it was ________ mom’s b-day so they weren´t home because of that.  So we talked with the wife for just a little bit and we were leaving and we just said we will stop by later. We started to say bye and leave but she just said, “Wait, when are you coming back?”  So I’m pretty sure they are really interested we just have to get them to church!  We taught a lot this week but didn´t find anybody too interested.  Yesterday a menos activa came to church we have been working with since I got here!!!!!!!! I was happy.  The guy we helped with his field, we haven´t talked to him since then.  We are going to try again this week.

Sunday is elections so that should be interesting; I’ve heard it gets pretty crazy.  It’s hilarious how many posters and stuff there is for all the candidates.  It’s people running for office :) every couple of feet on the streets and sidewalks and everywhere!  Something I forgot to tell you the past couple of weeks is that in Chile people just throw their trash everywhere.  And so the city has a company thing and they just go around picking up all the trash.  They have been on strike for the past 3 weeks so I’m pretty sure there is more garbage then ground ha-ha gross!!!!!!

Spanish is good, I’m learning.  I can speak ok and it just depends on the person how well I can understand.  Chileans pretty much have their own language; they have their own slang words for just about everything so understanding is really hard.

I don´t really know what I want for Christmas ha-ha, maybe American food!:) like super buttery popcorn :)

I hate the Rams (they beat the Colts on Sunday).

The Philippines sounds crazy!!!!! Did you know Nathan Watson.  That’s where he is!

The weather was really nice but the past couple of days have been super stormy!  I’m bummed :) I like the sun.

Ok, now funny/cool story.  About a month ago I left my umbrella in a collectivo.  Collectivos are how we get around, they´re a mix between buses and taxis.  When you leave stuff in them it’s gone forever!  Elder Parsons left our phone in one when I first got here ha-ha.  So we were walking back from a doctor’s appointment when a collectivo pulled over and waved us down.  We were kinda creeped out ‘cause that doesn´t happen.  So we walked over and he was like, “Hey, I’ve been looking for you.  Did one of you leave this in here a while ago?” ha-ha  It was my umbrella.  He has been carrying it around looking for us!  How awesome is that!!!!! :)  I’m still laughing about that!  This week has been really good.  This is my last week of training.  I can´t believe how long I’ve been here already!  I’m really excited if I stay here for another cambio (transfer).  I’m pretty sure I’m going to have some baptisms! Thanks for everything and keep doing what you’re all doing!  I don´t have time to write Dallin or Ellie so tell them sorry.
Love you tons!!!!!!!!!!!
Élder Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment