Called to Serve - Osorno, Chile

Elder Keenan Robertson is serving in the Osorno Chile Mission as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Elder Robertson left on July 16, 2013 and will return sometime around July of 2015. Missionaries have a limited time to respond to all the E-mails and letters they receive so we will include here some of his letters home so that friends and family can keep up to date on how things are going for him and his ministry among the wonderful people of Chile.

Friday, August 9, 2013

August 8th, 2013

Thanks for the emails!!  I heard from Nana that it was crazy hot there!  She was saying it’s one of the hottest Julys ever!!! In the mornings it’s about 65-ish and the hottest part of the day is probably 80 here, the temperature is always so nice!!!!  It’s the humidity that kills!!  Playing soccer I didn´t know that I could sweat so much in 80 degree weather!!  When I’m playing sports it feels like its 200! Ha-ha.

Sorry to hear about the Gummersalls.  That’s sad.  That letter from the guy on your mission was pretty cool!  It’s awesome he found you and sent you an email!  Sounds like your sink experiences were pretty fun! Ha-ha that sounds hilarious!!!  The MTC is growing like crazy; there are so many people here, it’s ridiculous!  President Pratt announced at our devotion Tuesday that the Argentina and Peru MTCs are so full they can´t accept one more person so everyone else is going to come here!  By next Tuesday there will be over 800 missionaries here! Pres. Pratt was saying that is hundreds more then what they were expecting to have right now! Ha-ha we won´t fit in the auditorium anymore so we have to go into the gym!

Either Monday or Tuesday about 2:30 we were just sitting in class studying when the earthquake alarms starting going off!!!!  I was so excited to be in an earthquake!!  So all we went out onto the safety circles (we joke around they are the spots certain Nephites were translated ha-ha:).  So we got outside and just waited a little bit.  When nothing happened, we thought it was just fake so I got all bummed!  And then a security guard came by so we asked him about it.  He said it was pretty far away and it was small so if we did feel it, it would be tiny.  Nothing ever happened so I was bummed!  Oh well, I bet I’ll feel at least one while I’m on my mission!

I’m so happy I’m half-way done!  The MTC is awesome and I love it here so much but I’m getting bored, it’s frustrating sometimes and I know I’m going to have to relearn everything when I get down there!  Ha-ha.  Ben has family that live down in Chile.  He was talking to Pres. Pratt because his family wants to meet him at the airport.  So Pres. Pratt asked him if they spoke English because he said that all the Spanish he learns here is useless and he won´t understand anything! Ha-ha. So I just want to get down there and start learning for real!

Classes are fine, I can sorta teach all the lessons and I’m getting better at saying what I’m thinking but I’m still super far away from being able to really teach people in the field, ha-ha, that will come with time!  Day to day it is almost the exact same but the devotionals we have are always really good!  It’s crazy how fast time flies here.  I can´t believe I’ve been out for three weeks already!  It feels like yesterday I was super exhausted driving on a bus with a bunch of guys I didn´t know to the MTC!  Now we are all like best friends!  I’ve been keeping in touch with Aaron and I emailed Nate today, hopefully he is good!  I tried looking at the blog but I can´t thanks for doing that.  It sounds awesome!!!!  Thanks for everything, love all you guys tons and tons and tons!!!!!!!  By the way how’s Dallin doing?


We have earthquake alarms all over and they went off yesterday but it was a small one and pretty far away so we didn´t feel anything. These safety circle things are where we have to stand!  Ha-ha it was cool and I got really excited! They said it was in Guadalajara or something like that.





Ha-ha, this kid in my room brought a portable ping pong net so we had a big tournament last night and I won!!! Ha-ha




This is my dorm building.  I’m not sure if I’ve sent a pic yet or not.





Last one, just me in front of the CCM sign!  It’s so beautiful here!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Great Pictures Elder Robertson. Love you so much. Proud to know you and be related to you. You're doing a wonderful job. Love, Aunt Amanda

    ReplyDelete