Called to Serve - Osorno, Chile

Elder Keenan Robertson is serving in the Osorno Chile Mission as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Elder Robertson left on July 16, 2013 and will return sometime around July of 2015. Missionaries have a limited time to respond to all the E-mails and letters they receive so we will include here some of his letters home so that friends and family can keep up to date on how things are going for him and his ministry among the wonderful people of Chile.

Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7, 2014

Hi family!  How ya'll doing!  This week was great; we taught a ton and found lots of cool people.  We invited 5 people to be baptized this week but only one person said yes!  His name is Pedro but, we will see, he is a really cool guy he is just a little too much into soccer :)  This week was really awesome and conference was a huge highlight!  The earthquake was pretty crazy and there was a big tsunami warning; I’ll talk about that in a minute it’s pretty funny.

Conference was amazing!  I loved the priesthood sesión!  It was great and super spiritual.  I liked all the talks so much; I have almost ten pages of notes!  It was different because I watched it in Spanish!  Sometimes it was really hard to understand.  It’s cool because Richard G Scott translates his own talks!  I really liked the talks of Uchtdorf and Monson.  It was just an amazing conference.  I’m pretty sure we invited close to all 5,000 people living here to come to it. Ha-ha nobody came!  Ha-ha, Our branch president and his family and one other family were there!  Not a lot!  That was frustrating!

We have lots of investigators and we found a lot of people this week so I’ll keep you updated with them!

So with the whole earthquake thing, FUNNY STORY.  So it was way up north so super far away but there was a tsunami warning that went to the whole country.  Tuesday night we were in a cita with a menos activa teaching her and I saw it on the news for a second that there had been an earthquake.  But I didn´t really think anything about it and we finished teaching her and left for our house.  That’s when all the fire fighters and paramédicas started going lights and sirens and everyone was freaking out so we ran up this hill to see if there was a fire but we couldn´t see anything.  We just watched the fire fighters drive all over the city.  Then we heard megaphones and stuff.  Ha-ha, this is the funny part, so it was kinda hard to understand what all the fire fighters were saying but we heard, “this is a false alarm” so we just thought that’s weird they’re driving around saying that but whatever!  So we just went back to the house and did our planning for the day.  We thought it was weird because the entire time the sirens were still going off.  That’s when are leaders called and told us there was a huge earthquake and a tsunami warning and we had to be in safe zone.  Ha-ha Our house is up on a hill so we were fine and nothing ended up happening but we found out the next day that the entire lower half of Por Venir had been evacuated and the fire fighters had been saying, "This is NOT a false alarm" ha-ha we just missed the "not" part.  But nothing ended up happening and we were fine. Pretty crazy though! Ha-ha

Por Venir is awesome!  It is super beautiful and I love it, the people are super friendly and it’s great!  I love it here.  So I found out that they used to take the missionaries out during winter but they don´t anymore ha-ha so I’ll probably be down here for a while :)

Sorry I didn´t say anything last time but that picture you found is where I live!  It is awesome!!!!!!   It is easily one of the best houses in the mission!  Our branch President’s name is Carcamo he is awesome!  He has a daughter on a mission in Washington D.C.  He and His family are awesome, they have a bunch of chickens that are always running around the yard.

Elder Powell is awesome; He is an awesome missionary and we get along great he is super diligent and is a great missionary.  He is way cool.  He is addicted to soccer so we are always talking about soccer.  Ha-ha he is really cool!

The work is going super good here in Por Venir; I’m super happy and excited!  We have lots of people now we are just trying to help them progress.

I don´t know if I mentioned last time but we have a mamita!  So we eat with her every day and she is a way good cook!  I might get fat here... :) jk  We run to the church every morning and play soccer and exercise so I’m good! :)  Ha-ha, finally I had a whole week of health it was great!  Today we get money for the month, I’m happy I was getting low on food ha-ha I eat way too much!

Mom those pictures you sent were crazy!  They did a lot!  I’m glad you feeling better!

There was something I wanted you to send but I can´t remember what it is now, I will keep thinking and maybe have one or two things for next week!  There are really nice hats here, just in Punta Arenas!  This week we are going to Punta Arenas for interviews with the president so I’m going to try to buy one there.
That’s awesome the missionaries were over!  How are they doing?  How is the Ward?

I got one picture of the boat ride but I slept most of it, Elder Powell was with me.  Very rarely do people travel alone.

Well thanks for everything family you are awesome!!!!!!!
Love

Elder Robertson


Elder Powell and I

The Ferry Ride Over

On the Ocean

Our Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment