Called to Serve - Osorno, Chile

Elder Keenan Robertson is serving in the Osorno Chile Mission as a full time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Elder Robertson left on July 16, 2013 and will return sometime around July of 2015. Missionaries have a limited time to respond to all the E-mails and letters they receive so we will include here some of his letters home so that friends and family can keep up to date on how things are going for him and his ministry among the wonderful people of Chile.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 9, 2013

Chile is freakin' great I love it!  I mostly stay in the city, my ward has two pairs of missionaries. My sector is pretty small compared to the mission but its still huge.  We walk everywhere and we use these cars that are like taxis to get everywhere.  They are called collectivos.  Spanish is awesome I'm understanding a lot more and I can speak ok...sometimes :)  My address 965 Felix Garcia.  I think you might not find it though because lots of places have the same street names.  It's super small though, it's an add on to a house so it's tiny.  I'll send pics but its kinda dirty.  The elders before left it destroyed and we just haven´t had time to clean it up, that's what we are doing today.

The place where we email is far away from where I live so i don´t print anything off and its pretty expensive.  So when I got here I got a jacket and rain pants which are super awesome but I've discovered my "waterproof" stuff is only waterproof for up to 4 days of nonstop rain!! :)  It was crazy, for 4 straight days it rained non-stop and so then everything was soaked, thoroughly.  I got tired of the rain so the fourth night I said a prayer that the rain would stop and it would be super sunny and no clouds.  Guess what happened!!!!  I woke up and there wasn't a cloud in the sky!  It was awesome, specific prayers work!  Make sure you all pray morning and night! :) Personal and family prayers.  And read El Libro de Mormon as a family! 

The dogs are insane here!  They are everywhere and some of them, I think, are satan.  But he is a snake so they are as close as you can get!  I've gotten pretty good at the fake rock pickup ha-ha that scares them.  Sometimes they don´t get scared and so I really have to throw rocks. There was one dog we scared running one morning and it full blown-out attacked us!  We had to kick it and run back the other way 'cause it was so mad. 

Things are awesome here I can´t wait to go shopping cause I love the food.  We don´t get a lot of money so breakfast and dinner are usually super small with a huge lunch!  The food is awesome we get a lot of meat and veggies. 18 de Septiembre is coming up and its their independence day celebration.  They celebrate a whole week and Chile shuts down.  So that whole week we have to stay inside!!  We can go to members' houses so we have a couple citas(appointments) set up.  They eat lots of empanadas and alfahors.  Alfahors are these little pieces of bread or cracker with this super amazing caramel stuff!  Sooooooo good.  I'm going to come home fat! :) haha.  Just kidding, probably not.  Other than lunch and holidays I don´t eat much.

Last night on of our investigators was super sick so we didn't get to teach him but we gave him an awesome blessing.  I anointed him in perfect Spanish!!!!!!!  I studied and prayed soooo much, but it worked! 

Thanks for the emails.  Things are awesome here and it rains.... a ton ;) and that's a huge understatement!  I love it tons.  I pray for all you guys everyday!  Stay safe and I love you all!!!!!

(Elder Robertson hasn't been able to send pictures yet, we sent him a memory card reader and so hopefully he will be able to send some pics soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment